My trusty and beloved HTC Touch Pro2 is dying.
The graphics are cracking up and it is pretty much unusable. It’s the first time I have been upset by one of my handsets reaching the end of it’s life.
In the past I would have seen this as the perfect excuse to get a new phone. After all I love gadgets and usually change handsets every few months.
- According to the latest specs the Touch Pro 2 is massively underpowered only having a single weedy processor clocking in around 578 Mhz.
- The camera is pretty lousy.
- It runs a dead OS – Winmo 6.5 which was unfashionable even before Microsoft killed it.
- Plus HTC had written rubbish drivers for the proximity sensor in Winmo 6.5 that meant that the handset went into the “Sleep of death” needing to be reset at least 8 times a day.
So why am I so upset that this old technology is giving up on me? Should I not be jumping for joy that I am able to rid myself of this burden?
I’m sad because it did everything I needed:
- I could get my encrypted work email.
- I could organise my life using outlook without any glitches – essential if you are dyslexic and disorganised like I am.
- I could use PockeTwit – a really neat twitter client that is totally free and devoid of ads.
- It had the best QWERTY slide out keyboard bar none – 5 rows meaning I could achieve around 30 words per minute on my phone.
- It supported Multitasking – sideloading and was totally customisable – Thanks XDA Developers!!!
- Because of that I could run Capturatalk the app for dyslexia that I had worked on.
I don’t want an i-phone unless they bring one out with a keyboard & even then I don’t know if I could deal with the smugness – don’t you just hate those adverts “if you haven’t got an iphone you don’t have an iphone”…Plus I still couldn’t get my work email and calendar.
Android has lots of handsets but again I could not use it for work so what’s the point.
I don’t get on with Blackberry’s the keyboards are horrid and the OS is clunky.
I like the look of the Nokia N8 but don’t want to invest the time and effort in learning another dead OS
I have tried WP7 handsets and like the look of the TouchPro7 but currently WP7 doesn’t support multitasking or email encryption.
So unless someone has any suggestions as to a suitable replacement I may resort to buying a replacement on ebay…